Business Immigration services

Investing or starting a business in the UK or Europe?

Looking for a UK or European Visa? 

Talk to our team at Hodders Law:

  • Proven record of successful applications
  • Expert immigration solicitors
  • Dedicated team pushing your case
  • Offices throughout London

Tier 1 (Investor) visa

If you are a non-EEA national and wish to enter and settle in the UK as an investor then you must have access to at least £2,000,000 in investment funds to apply.

Initially you will be granted 3 years leave and then a 2 year extension leading to an application for permanent residency. During this time you are allowed to work or study. However you are not allowed during this time to invest or engage in businesses predominantly dealing with property or property investment. Or practice as a doctor of medicine or dentistry unless –

  • you have a primary degree at bachelors level or above in medicine or dentistry from a UK institution that holds a Tier 4 sponsor license or is a UK recognised or listed body
  • you worked as a doctor or dentist in training the last time you were in the UK
  • neither of those conditions were part of the terms and conditions on a previous visa

The requisite funds of at least £2,000,000 for Tier 1 investor visa can be placed in the UK or outside the UK at the time of the application. However you must be 18 or over to apply for this visa. Be able to prove that the money belongs to either you or your husband, wife, unmarried or same-sex partner. That you have opened a UK bank account. The funds are held in one or more regulated financial institutions and that the funds are at your sole disposal and if there are third party family rights then a legal document giving a free hand to the applicant to dispose the money at his will.

There are shorter avenues to expedite an application for settlement by increasing the investment amount –

  • apply to settle after 2 years if you invest £10 million
  • apply to settle after 3 years if you invest £5 million

Tier 1(Entrepreneur) visa

The Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa allows you to invest in the UK in order to setup a business or be part of an existing UK business. The amount of investment is either £50,000 or £200,000. The

requirements will differ accordingly.

Sharing investment funds

You can form an ‘entrepreneurial team’ with one other Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) applicant and share the same investment funds.

You and your team member must meet all the application requirements and:

  • not use the same funds on another application with a different entrepreneurial team
  • provide all the documents needed for evidence of the funds with your own applications

Access to £50,000 investment funds route

You may apply showing that you have £50,000 in investment funds in a

  • a venture capital firm registered with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
  • a UK entrepreneurial seed funding competition endorsed by UKTI
  • a UK government department making funds available for the purpose of setting up or expanding a UK business

Or if you are already in the UK you may transfer your status form certain categories to a Tier 1 Entrepreneur by showing that you have access to £50,000 in investment funds or you’ve already invested £50,000 in a UK business. You must have invested the funds less than 12 months before you apply. As a former Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) you can rely on investments from up to 24 months before your Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) application. The routes chosen through existing immigration status will differ according to the relevant requirements.

Access to £200,000 investment funds route

In order to make an application under Tier 1, Entrepreneur investing £200,000 then you must establish that the funds are your own, or written document by a family member granting sole disposal of the funds or show in a joint account with your spouse or partner.

You can also apply if you’ve invested £200,000 in a UK business. You must have invested the funds less than 12 months before you apply.

If you’re in the UK on a Tier 1 (Post-study worker) visa or as a student, you must follow the rules for applying with £50,000 funding.

Apply as a former Tier 1 (General) worker

If you are a Tier 1 (General worker) then you can only apply with £200,000 of your own funds if you have been involved in running one or more UK businesses (eg you’re listed as a company director) since before 6 April 2015 or have been working in a job on the list of occupations at the National Qualifications Framework level 4 and above since before 6 April 2015.

Unlike in Investor visa, you must fulfil English test requirements if you are to apply under the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa.

Call us on 0808 168 8677 (local rate) to find out more about our Investing or starting a business in the UK or Europe? law services or alternatively go to "Meet the Team" to contact one of our specialists directly.

With solicitors offices in Battersea, Hanover Square London, Harlesden, Harrow and Wembley, Hodders Law can provide the services of a local solicitor backed up by the strength of a big firm expertise.

Our Testimonials

“Dear Karen,

Thank you very much indeed for all that you, William Brown, and your support team at Hodders have done in connection with this purchase, and with the associated sale of Wallers Haven Barn. There were many times when I thought that we were not going to make one or the other, and it is in very large part down to your persistence that we are exchanged. Your care, patience and attention to detail have been much appreciated.

Mr L
March 2016


Read Our Blog